The Old Course at St Andrews - the world's oldest golf course - is a 1 hour 20 minute drive north from Rosslyn Chapel. And although those who've read Dan Brown's book or seen the movie Da Vinci Code will think that the "BIG encoded message" is in Sir William Sinclair's (d 1484) chapel's design, the truth is that his descendent William St. Clair of Roslin (d 1778) - the president of St Andrews Golfers and the first Grand Master Mason of the Grand Lodge of Scotland - put the BIG code in the 'Home of Golf': GOD=7_4.
William St. Clair descendent of William Sinclair of Rosslyn Chapel (Da Vinci Code) was the first Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Scotland. He was also in charge of the St. Andrews Golf Course. Sinclair was in-charge of changing the layout from 22 holes going clockwise to 18 holes going counterclockwise. This is why golf is 18 holes.
There are 7 par 4s going out in the front nine and 7 par 4s coming in on the back nine. The 7th Hole is a par 4 and the 17th Hole - the Road Hole - is a par 4. The first 7 holes go out towards Eden Estuary and then curl back to form a shepherd's crook with the 7th Hole crossing the 11th Hole and forming a St. Andrews Cross.
The Old Course uniquely has 7 double-greens and 4 singular greens. In the 2015 British Open, the two par 3s both played at 174 yards. The winner - Zach(4) Johnson(7) never lead the tournament until the 74th hole (playoff).
There are 7 golf courses at St. Andrews with the 4th built being Eden.
The Old Course is closed on Sundays (the 7th day of the week) with there being 4 exceptions.